A student with an individualized education program (IEP) has certain rights under both federal and state
laws. This Transition Bill of Rights for parents of students receiving special education will help parents
and students understand a student’s rights related to getting an education and other important issues
regarding the transition to life after high school. School districts will provide this document annually at a
planning and placement team (PPT) meeting to all parents, guardians, and surrogate parents of students who are receiving special education services in Grades 6-12 as well as to students who are 18 years of age or older.
Students, parents, guardians, and surrogate parents are important members of the PPT. Parents, guardians,
surrogate parents, and students 18 years of age or older have the right to receive a copy of Procedural
Safeguards in Special Education which explains the rights and responsibilities in the federal law called the
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). These procedural safeguards are provided at least annually
at a PPT meeting by each school district. This publication describes a student’s right to a free and appropriate
public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment (LRE) through specialized instruction and related
services in a student’s IEP.

Students with an IEP have a right to:
1. Receive secondary transition services through
their IEP starting at least at age 16, or younger if
desired and recommended by the student’s PPT.

2. Receive appropriate individualized education
services through the end of the school year in
which they turn 21 OR until graduation with a
regular high school diploma. The school year is
defined as July 1 through June 30. This decision is
typically recommended by a student’s PPT.

3. Attend all PPT meetings, including those related
to transition planning, to represent their education/
training, employment, and independent living
interests, preferences, and strengths.

4. Assist in the development of their IEP with
accommodations and modifications designed to
meet their unique needs.

5. Develop realistic and specific post-school
outcome goal statements (PSOGS) that are
measurable, based on their individualized needs
and interests, and reviewed annually as part of
their IEP.

6. Receive secondary transition services and related
supports to help them prepare to meet their postschool
goals in postsecondary education/training
AND employment, and independent living skills
if appropriate.

7. Assist in developing annual goals and objectives
to include but not be limited to those areas in the
Connecticut CORE Transition Skills, such as
health care, transportation, self-determination, and
social skills.

8. Identify, explore, and connect with outside
agencies as appropriate, including but not limited
to the following adult service agencies:
Department of Developmental Services (DDS),
Department of Mental Health and Addiction
Services (DMHAS), Department of Public Health
(DPH), and the Department of Rehabilitation
Services (DORS), which includes the Bureau of
Education and Services for the Blind (BESB) and
Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS) (see
Easing into Secondary Transition).

9. Be informed on or before their 17th birthday that
all parental rights will transition to the student
when he or she reaches the age of 18. Under
Connecticut law, students may notify the school
district (in writing) that their parents, guardian, or
surrogate parent shall continue to have the right to
make educational decisions with the students
when they turn 18.

Transition Bill of Rights – 5/4/16 Page 2

10. Request consideration for receiving transition-only
services between the ages of 18 and 21 if all
transition goals and objectives have not been met
during their previous years in high school. The
following conditions are required:
a. Students have met all academic
requirements for graduation.
b. PPT makes the recommendation for
transition-only services that must be
reviewed at least annually.
c. Transition-only services must be a
coordinated set of individualized activities
but do not need to be a specialized
d. Transition-only services must provide
students with the opportunity to spend at
least 80 percent of their time with
nondisabled peers.
e. Students are entitled to participate in
graduation activities upon completion of
academic requirements or at the conclusion
of transition-only services - this is a
decision to be made by the student, parents,
and/or guardians or surrogate and the PPT.
f. If students participate in transition-only
services, the date on their diploma or
certificate will be the date that they exit
high school (either aging out at 21 or with a
diploma or certificate).
In addition, the following should also be
g. Transition-only services are typically
discussed during the senior year of high
h. Transition-only services are not needed for
graduation but may include academic,
vocational, and independent living
activities that will help students meet their
post-school goals.
i. Transition-only services should be based in
the local community to the greatest extent
possible in order to prepare students for life
after high school.
11. Actively participate in the development and
revision of their Student Success Plans, which
are required for all students in grades 6–12 to
address career, academic, and social/emotional/
behavioral skills to prepare for life after high
12. Receive, along with their parents, guardians,
and surrogate parent transition resources and
other information regarding IEPs developed by
the Connecticut State Department of Education
(CSDE) and their school such as:
  • Assistive Technology and
  • Postsecondary Transition
  • Building A Bridge: A Transition
  • Manual for Students
  • Connecticut CORE Transition Skills
  • Connecticut IEP Transition Planning Checklist
  • Easing into Secondary Transition: A Comprehensive Guide to Resources and Services in CT
  • Transition Assessment Resource Manual
  • Stepping Forward: A Self-Advocacy Guide for Middle and High School Students
  • Student Success Plan Crosswalk
  • Technology & Transition: Resource Guide to Creating and Sustaining an
  • AT [Assistive Technology] Team at the High School Level
If students have questions or have a problem asserting any of these rights, they should first speak to their
teacher, school case manager, school counselor, and parent/guardian or surrogate parent. If additional help is
needed, students (or their parents, guardians, or surrogate parent) have the right to file a complaint, ask for
mediation and, if needed, ask for an impartial due process hearing by contacting the CSDE Due Process Unit at
860-713-6928. For more information, download a copy of the publication Parent’s Guide to Special Education
or obtain a copy from the school.
For additional help with transition or special education, call the CSDE at 860-713-6910 or visit
http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/specialeducation. For assistance in understanding the provisions of the IDEA, call
Connecticut’s federally designated Parent Training and Information Center, the Connecticut Parent Advocacy
Center (CPAC) at 800-445-2722, e-mail cpac@cpacinc.org, or visit http://www.cpacinc.org/.

« Back To All News

© 2021 Epilepsy Foundation Connecticut