Sign up for the email list

"Thank you again for last night. Everyone was very glad they came and feel so much better about things now. There were many compliments given about you... Carin

Faces of Epilepsy

Ray DiNitto

Faces of Epilepsy - Ray DiNitto - Epilepsy Foundation of CT

Ray DiNitto


I have had epilepsy all my life. I was first diagnosed at the age of five in the Boston's Children's Hospital. At the time they were the closest hospital looking at epilepsy. After being diagnosed, I was put on tons of meds. Then I became a teenager, that's when I started having more Grand-Mals this made it hard for me in school but I made it! I tried to go to college but was told I wouldn't be able to concentrate or retain anything, (never liked when they told me that). I moved out of my mothers house at the age of 17 and got a taste of being independent that’s when I  got my first job at Pitney Bowes but after a couple years I had a major seizure and was taken out of work. Within the next year, I met two new doctors Susan and Dennis Spencer and in 3months I had surgery, and it worked.  After the surgery I wasn't able to remember the people I loved, but after a couple weeks it starting coming back. In about 12 weeks, I got a new job working at Saint Raphael's Hospital as a groundsman. This is when my life did a 360. The hospital let me go to UConn to take the master Gardner program. I was very successful. If you know the hospital, I chose and planted the trees they still have. But I felt I needed to do more and that's when I became an orderly in the operating and found my calling to help others who are ill. Soon after I  became an SICU tech and loved it. I still needed more so I went through the program to became a CPR instructor but still wanted more. After seeing so many patients good and bad coming to the unit, I wanted to be part of the operating room team who was the heart of the hospital so again I went back to school to become a surgical technologist. I was successful and ended up taking a job at Hartford Hospital operating room. They were the hospital with the most traumas and that's what I wanted, in that time working their I must have been involved in over 600 cases and at the same time I was working at Yale in labor and  delivery helping bring life into the world. In between all this I got married to a nurse. We met at St. Rays had 4 kids so I needed to be closer to home that's when I took the job at the VA, and became a member of the heart team. I thought I found my place in life helping our Vets. But it happen after about 22yrs I had a seizure and had to step down from Scrubbing. This was very hard for me even though in a few months I went into scrubbing plastic surgery ,when I got bored  I  started to try sales in health care. It worked out well but then it happened my life fell apart  when I had a very bad seizure and this time I  was unable to remember. So in 2010 my world fell apart, I had lost everything my marriage, my job and my memory. In the last two years I have regained my memory, part of it anyway. and I am again on that road to recovery and hope soon to be able to help others again. I am currently attending the Hartford Hospital Support Group and am a member of the Epilepsy Center at Hartford Hospitals Patient Advisory Board. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never let epilepsy take over my life and got to be successful in something I love doing and that is helping others. As a priest once told me things happen in life for  a reason and I believe that.
Don't ever give up !


Back to all Faces of Epilepsy

Home      About Us      Events      News      Programs and Services      Photos      Advocacy      Epilepsy Facts      Volunteers      Research      Contact Us

© 2015 Epilepsy Foundation Connecticut   |   (860) 346-1924 or (800) 899-3745   |   386 Main St Middletown, CT, 06457-3360   |  en español

Creative Sunrise Web Development